A fireplace can be a useful item to add to any single-family rental home in Leander. In any case, fireplaces also pose some unique risks to renters. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fireplaces are the leading cause of home fires in the U.S., causing nearly 500 deaths and over $1 billion in property damage every year. To make the most of your fireplace and stay safe altogether, it is necessary to adopt a couple of significant fireplace safety rules.
The most common reason a fireplace causes a house fire is a consequence of creosote buildup or obstructions in the chimney. After some time, wood-burning fires make a thick layer of soot and ash, called creosote, on the inside of the chimney walls. If not properly cleaned, this material can ignite, causing significant damage to the property and threatening the safety of everyone in the home. Different issues, such as dead leaves, bird nests, or falling bricks, can block the airflow in the chimney and cause sparks to fly out into the room, possibly igniting rugs, nearby décor, or furniture. In the case of gas fireplaces, and obstructed chimney could cause dangerous fumes to vent into the home. Either case is especially unsafe for you and the home’s other tenants assuming any.
To avoid these and other problems, there are several important steps that you should take. To start with, use only the recommended types of fuel for your fireplace. For wood-burning fireplaces, that is dried and well-seasoned wood free of any chemicals or accelerants. For gas or electric fireplaces, never put anything in the flames. This can end up in showers of sparks and hot ash capable of starting the house on fire. Chimney fires can become as hot as 2000°F, hot enough to crack bricks, melt metal, and catch your attic, siding, and roof on fire. Correct use of your fireplace is one of the best ways to avoid such dangers.
Next, keep an eye out and supervise the use of your fireplace carefully. For both gas and wood fireplaces, never leave the fireplace lit unsupervised. It is crucial to keep an updated fire extinguisher nearby and to make sure that you regularly change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. On the off chance that your fireplace has an operating manual, please keep it in an accessible location for easy reference. Keep away from the fireplace while lit, and be sure to monitor any pets to avoid burns and accidents.
Finally, you have to check with your property manager or landlord to see if the fireplace is being regularly inspected and cleaned. A quality property manager will have a fireplace serviced on a routine basis to guarantee that it is in good working condition and ventilating correctly. To remain safe, it is essential to know that pilot lights, valves, and sensors are working correctly and that you know how to run your fireplace correctly. If your landlord gives you materials on fire safety, read through them carefully before attempting to use your fireplace. For tenants, following legitimate fireplace safety is a significant phase of keeping you and your belongings out of harm’s way.
Are you tired of doing it yourself? Why not give Real Property Management Lonestar a call? It doesn’t matter if you own one rental home or several, our goal is to protect and maximize your real estate investment. Supported by over 30 years of nationwide experience, our team of Leander property managers is here to help rental home owners maximize rental income while minimizing expenses and inefficiencies. Please contact us online or call our Austin office at 512-520-9060 or our Dallas office at 972-949-2000 for more information.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.