If your Stone Oak rental property is slightly older, you may be distressed about attracting quality tenants. This is especially the situation if you have newer rental homes in your local market. It seems difficult for an older home to compete against newer ones, primarily if it needs specific updates. Opportunely, there are a lot of things that you can do to help your older rental home look more modern and maintain that strong appeal. In fact, with a little time and a little money, you can give your rental home a modern makeover that will not only help you attract tenants but may boost your property values, too. Below is our list of effective ways to make your older rental home look modern.
- Go Bright. The modern look and feel are all about light and space. To make your rental’s interiors appear livelier, use light, neutral paint for walls and trim with pops of bright color as accents. Just don’t apply too many colors at once – a single accent door or wall is normally all you’ll need.
- Open It Up. If your older rental home has a lot of walls dividing the main living areas, begin removing one or more of them. Modern home design is more open-concept, with huge living areas that flow from space to space. Simply removing a wall between the kitchen and dining room, for illustration, can make your rental feel more open and modern inside.
- Upgrade Cabinet Hardware and Faucets. In the kitchen, the simplest upgrade that may help modernize the room is to replace cabinet hardware and the faucet. Clean, bright lines in your cabinet handles and faucets can make a huge difference in the look and feel of the kitchen.
- Remove Popcorn Ceilings. If your rental property does have a popcorn ceiling inside, it’s better to remove out. Popcorn ceilings were popular at one time, but now they instantly date a rental home’s interior. Utilize a smooth neutral finish on your rental’s ceilings instead.
- Opt-Out of Carpet. Another good option to modernize an older rental is to replace carpeted floors with hard surface flooring, like long-lasting wood-look vinyl planks. Vinyl planks are much more inexpensive compared to carpet and will absolutely last much longer than carpet, anyway. Also, it will help your rental’s interior rooms feel more open and airy, which is the basis of modern design.
- Upgrade Outlets and Lights. Unpleasant or old-fashioned electrical outlets and light fixtures can make your rental appear unappealing. By simply replacing both with new, modern styles, you can boost the contemporary look of any room.
- New Doors. Your rental doors are also a smart option for modernizing your property. Your rental’s front door, specifically, contributes greatly to your property’s curb appeal. Start replacing an old or outdated door with something stylish and modern, preferably in a bright, complementary color. A lovely door can give the welcoming touch your rental needs to remain competitive in today’s rental market.
- Smart Locks, Thermostat, and More. Ultimately, today’s modern rental homes include a range of smart upgrades, such as smart locks, smart thermostats, and all that. These devices can be controlled from a smartphone and help enhance the security and efficiency of any property. Your tenants will relish the convenience and savings, and you will relish the boost in rental rates and property values you’ll probably get as a result.
Would you like to know more about simple and affordable ways to update your rental property? Give Real Property Management Campanas a call! Our Stone Oak property management team helps rental property owners like you create and maintain profitable rental homes. Contact us online for more information.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.